Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Halloween Scene: Disturbing Behavior (1998)

It seems like I've been watching a lot of high school horror movies. In addition to the recent reviews I've done on the Prom Night remake and Slaughter High, I've also a re-watched Dance of the Dead. And now I've added Disturbing Behavior to the list. I'll say right off that bat that DB doesn't hold a candle to The Faculty. The two movies share very similar plots with something strange happening to students and the adults in town/school seem to be in on it.

In Disturbing Behavior's case it's more Stepford Wives than Invasion of the Body Snatchers, with the students being altered and inducted into the Blue Ribbons with a chip. Overall it's a pretty by-the-numbers story like this. You've got the kid who's new in town, his friend from the fringes who turns into a goody goody, the crazy old guy who knows what's going on, an invention that will coincidentally effect the people with the chips and, duh, a victory in the end. The end is well paced and kind of fun, but you've probably seen this movie before.

The most fun was watching the cast. You've got Cyclops (James Marsden) and That Yellow Bastard (Nick Stahl, also of Carnivale, which was awesome), but the real draw at the time was Kaite Holmes. Have I mentioned that I went to grade school with Ms. Holmes? It's the truth. I think we were even in the same "family group" but who can remember? She was a few grades ahead of me. Everyone in Toledo was pretty excited when she landed the gig on Dawson's Creek. I even watched the first episode with my parents but got super embarrassed with the "walking the dog" talk and Pacey boning his teacher and thought the dialogue was way too crazy to be believed and didn't watch anymore of it (though I have watched some of Em's Season 1 DVDs and am impressed). Anyway, DB was also a pretty big deal because it was her first big, starring role in a movie. That being said, I don't actually remember if I saw it in high school or not. I think it might have been on at a party or something, but I didn't really remember anything that wasn't in the trailer (Katie dancing on the truck, that part where she smashes the guy in the face). I also remember loving Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" but borrowed the album from my buddy Randy and thinking it was weak. Maybe I'll download "Flagpole" on iTunes.

Anyway, if you're looking for a fun, late 90s movie starring a bunch of familiar faces that's also a great movie, I recommend checking out The Faculty. BUT, if you want to see Cyclops team up with and later fight That Yellow Bastard and a non-brainwashed Katie Holmes, this is the movie for you! Oh, also, in keeping with the high school horror theme, I'm watching Student Bodies thanks to a recommendation from my buddy from T-Town Harmony. I hope it doesn't suck!

[post does not go on]

No comments:

Post a Comment