Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween Scene: Dexter Season 2 (2007)


After burning through the first season of Dexter, I went through the second even quicker. Going in, I didn't have super high hopes because Rickey told me the characters got on his nerves. On the other hand, I got about six comments on Facebook from people telling me how excited they were for me to jump into the second season. I completely loved it. The characters that I was getting a little tired of like Doakes and Laguerta both still bothered me, but they had such different character arcs this season over last that they didn't really bother me as much. I also loved Deb's arc which took her from scared former victim to strong woman, from someone looking for a quick bone to someone looking for a real relationship.

And of course, you've got this season's overall plot which focused on Dexter's at-sea dumping area getting discovered and a big search for the identity of the Bay Harbor Butcher. Wow. This thing was tense, wasn't it? I really wasn't sure how he was going to get out of it, even when Dex was convinced. I also loved him bouncing between women and how drug user's anonymous allowed him to talk about his murder addiction out in the open. And, of course, you've got the further mysteries behind his adopted father's life and death. I was hooked by all that stuff.

I really can't say enough good things about this show and I feel like the hour-ish long format and 12 episode seasons fits just perfectly. And, unlike say Weeds, which is a show I've grown to hate, I feel like the Dexter seasons are really well played out and all the beats make logical sense, unlike Weeds with all of the "what would be the one way that this thing could work out and we'll never talk about it again?" storytelling style.

Oh, also, I loved Keith Carradine as Agent Lundy. I don't have a lot of experience with the dude, but his voice was driving me crazy. He sounded SO familiar. Then I looked him up and it turns out that he's David Carradine's half brother and he sounds EXACTLY like Bill from Kill Bill. It's crazy.

I was just about to jump into Dexter Season 3 on NetBox, but, unfortunately, it's not on there, so I'll have to get the discs. Gah, that will take forever!!!

[post does not go on]

No comments:

Post a Comment