Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Season Premiere: Glee

So, the real premiere for Glee happened today, though, the episode they showed months ago that I talked about here still counts as the first episode. A lot of my previous problems with the show still stand, especially the fact that nearly every single person who's not in the glee club or associated with it is hate-able. You don't just not like them, they're actually such reprehensible human beings that you want to see terrible things happen to them. And, hey, that kind of writing works for horror movies because you KNOW those people are going to get their just deserts, but what's going to happen here? They're going to learn the error of their ways? Sorry, that's not going to cut it, especially with the main dude's crazy wife who is straight-up lying to her husband.

Another problem I had with the show is that when anyone starts singing, it automatically sounds like a soundtrack from another show or movie. I have no idea if any of the actual people in the show can sing because it turns into this weird other thing when they start. I know they can't necessarily record these people singing live on set, but some kind of compromise would be nice to my ears.

All that being said, it's still a pretty good show. There were a few moments where I laughed out loud HARD. I do this really loud HA laugh when something comes out of nowhere and really surprises me and there were definitely a few of those. The wife hates it cause I usually drown out the following line. I also really liked the musical numbers even considering me earlier complaints. It's fun to hear songs done this way, in the same way it's fun to hear Richard Cheese lounge-out pop songs.

So, for now, I'm still in, but we'll see what the competition is like once that season really gets up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment