Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Look, Another Girl Fight Season Finale"

The above quote was straight from my lovely wife's mouth as we watched the last episode of the third season of Alias. If you could somehow throw the word "crying" in there it would completely sum up my thoughts on this show. Season 3 really seemed to rehash a lot of previous ideas from the show (a man being betrayed by his spy wife, distrust in the organization, lying to loved ones, bad guys who just won't die, incredibly sloppy spy stuff and crying. Lots of crying from our bad ass heroine.

The funny thing, though, is that I kind of liked these storylines better than those from the previous seasons. Maybe it's that I knew what I was getting into when we started. Maybe it's because the few people whose opinions I've heard said it was supposed to get so much worse this season, I'm not sure. I actually enjoyed this season more what with all the Rambaldi stuff taking center stage and twins and other family members coming to light. It's not a great show, but the ticks seemed to be less (or at least less obvious) and you can see where shows like Lost and Fringe may have had their earliest seeds.

The most impressive element of this show, by far, has been the crazy amount of high quality guest stars they were able to pull in. Here's a fairly completely list from Season 3: Scott Adsit, Djimon Hounsou, Bradley Cooper (he came back!), Richard Roundtree (seriously, Shaft is following me), David Cronenberg, Terry O'Quinn (he also came back!), Quentin Tarantino (also came back!), Isabella Rossellini (yeesh), Vivica A. Fox, Ricky Gervais (of original Office fame and general awesomeness), Raymond J. Barry, Peggy Lipton (Julie from The Mod Squad and Norma Jennings from Twin Peaks) and David Carradine (another returner). That's a pretty impressive roster, especially when you consider that many of them made appearances in multiple episodes.

So, I'm curious to see how Season 4 and 5 go. I know there's a twin or something. And a baby. But, since my expectations are pretty low, so I can't really get TOO disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment