Monday, September 28, 2009

Halloween Scene: Going To Pieces (2006)

Are you guys psyched? It's almost October and you know what that means? Hundreds and hundreds of horror movie reviews on blogs just like this one. After a brief sabbatical from horror, I'm back in the game myself as any regular reader might have noticed. So much so, that I've actually got a list on my computer with all the backed-up reviews I want to do. One such movie is Going To Pieces: The Rise And Fall Of The Slasher Film (note to NetBox users, it's missing the "Going To Pieces" title in the beginning, but, as far as I know, it's still on there). Holy crap, this is a great movie.

I haven't seen too many documentaries about horror, in fact, I haven't seen too many docs on the whole, but that's for another day. What I loved about this movie is that it doesn't just cover the obvious like Halloween and Friday the 13th. You also get fairly long segments from the likes of Jeff Katz (a dude I got to interview before being bounced from Wizard, who was rad) and the girl who starred in Sleepaway Camp on movies like Sleepaway Camp and Slumber Party Massacre. These are the weird slasher flicks that I cut my horror teeth on back at the Family Video in Toledo and it's cool to see other people talking about them with such gusto.

You also get a look at horror luminaries like John Carpenter and Wes Craven today, which is interesting. One problem I had with the movie is that they didn't show who each person was on a regular basis. So, seeing as how I was working on the computer part of the time and have a generally crappy memory, I had no idea who the tall man sporting sunglasses and long white hair was until the very end, and it turned out to be Carpenter.

Like I said, though, I loved this movie and it is an absolute must for slasher fans. I was even jazzed to find out that movies I have only seen recently like Graduation Day, The Burning, April Fool's Day & My Bloody Valentine. It's also a great way to check out new movies to add to your "to see" list, though beware of spoilers. Now I gotta check out Happy Birthday To Me! Thanks Going To Pieces!

[post does not go on]

No comments:

Post a Comment