Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Uncaged: Con Air (1997) and The Rock (1996)

2008-12-05
5:05:25 am

I recently switched from Blockbuster to Netflix as it was taking way too freaking long for me to get my DVDs (five days at times, even when I turned them in at the store, ugh). As a result I sat here switching my queue over and moving things around. I gotta say, I like the Netflix site a lot more. It's way more user friendly and I actually like a lot of their movie suggestions. All of which I'm telling you to let you in on how I inadvertently ended up with two crazy, Nic Cage action movies from the mid 90s. I had never seen Con Air before and it's been about a decade since I saw The Rock, so it was practically like watching it again for the first time.

CON AIR (1997)

What a great and crazy movie. Like with The Rock, I don't really buy into one of the initial plot points. In this case its the idea that a military man just home from a tour of duty (or something, I'm not always clear on the jargon) kills a dude in a fight, a dude with a knife near Cage's pregnant girlfriend no less. According to the brief court scene, soldiers are held to a higher standard because they're killing machines. Sorry folks, I don't buy it. Isn't that plain old self defense? Anyway, aside from that (and Cage's ridiculous accent throughout the film), I bought in. You see, Cage is done with his five year sentence and just wants to get home to his girl and their kid, so they put him on a plane (why was he so far away from home anyway?) with a bunch of other cons to fly them someplace else. Once in the air, the prisoners take over the plane in a pretty ingenious multi-part plan and we go on from there.


The first thing that struck me about Con Air is the cast. Aside from Cage, you've got John Cusak as a cop of some kind, John Malkovich as the mastermind behind the hijack, Dave Chapelle, Danny Trejo (the best interview I've ever had) and Ving Rhames as cons and Steve Buscemi as a sociopath serial killer. The characters aren't all that well rounded, but the actors really sell their parts, offering up some of the creepiest cons in recent memory. Even Cusak, who I love in High Fidelity, Grosse Point Blanke and even 1401, is believable in the roll as an action-faring blockbuster cop, who would have thought?


There are all kind of groan worthy aspects to this flick, but I'll take all of them in exchange for a crazy balls-out action flick that pays off in big names, big explosions and big plots. The final scene takes place in the middle of Las Vegas, first as a plane crash, then as a chase between a fire truck and two motorcycles. One aspect of the movie that was too much, though, was Colm Meaney's "disbelieving tough guy cop." In a movie filled with otherwise compelling (if not likeable) characters, Colm's character just comes off as a boring, one note pain in the butt whose role should have either been rewritten or toned WAY down. It is cool to see his car come to its end, though.


One last thing, I just looked director Simon West up on IMDb and was horrifying to discover he's the man responsible for subjecting me to the When A Stranger Calls remake. Well, to be fair, I'm responsible for subjecting Ben, Rickey and myself to a pretty awful movie, but who's counting? It was by birthday after all!


THE ROCK (1996)

Like I said, I'd seen The Rock before, but had very little memory of it, which is great because this movie turned out to be a great surprise. I had a ton of fun watching The Rock, even though I was a little worried about it's long running time (I have gotten pretty lazy, going so far as to sending Armageddon back without watching it because of its 2 and a half hour running time). Regardless, I am officially a huge Michael Bay fan, so of me what you will, even given what I think was a fairly weak plot point. My biggest problem with the story is that I don't really buy that Ed Harris' character would at any point believe his plan would work. If he's not willing to actually kill a bunch of civilians, why would the government do anything by completely annihilate the island? Oh well.


The island in question is of course Alcatraz, the famous island prison which has fascinated me since I first saw it on some long forgotten show when I was a kid. There's always been a great sense of history and mystery surrounding that place so I'm pretty much down with any movie or comic being set there (I'm also a big fan the Mythbusters where they test to see if prisoners could have really escaped from The Rock). I am also a big Sean Connery fan, though who isn't? Seeing how great he is in this movie makes me wish he'd come back and do a role or two. In the flick he plays the only man to have ever escaped from Alcatraz. he gets teamed with chemical weapons expert Nic Cage to stop Harris and his hired soldiers (one of whom is Candyman) from firing off a series of missles with highly toxic bioweapons inside, which means they've got to break back into Alcatraz.


If there's one thing Bay knows, it's how to make an awesome movie. This one's got everything from chase scenes to bad ass lines to bigger than life characters and cushion clenching suspense. It really makes me wonder what happened to Cage, though. If nothing else, these two movies reminded me of how much fun he used to be to watch on screen. Maybe it's that I used to feel like we were both on the same page (these are goofy fun movies and he's having a goofy fun time doing it), but somewhere along the line he turned into the guy who would star in Ghost Rider. Yeesh. I've also heard some pretty terrible things about Wicker Man and really want to watch it after seeing this Best Scenes from The Wicker Man YouTube video:






Crazy right? Well, I can always go back and watch Con Air and The Rock, both of which looked super awesome on the new TV (I really love this thing). But, hey, maybe John Carpetner's upcoming Cage starrer Riot will bring him back to action movie prominence (I sure hope so).



No comments:

Post a Comment