Sunday, March 29, 2009

Whiteout

I read Oni's smaller, digest-ish sized edition of Greg Rucka and Steve Lieber's Whiteout this weekend. It's a pretty good read, though I feel like I've read or seen all the pieces of this story already between episodes of shows like CSI, The Thing and Bad Boys II (especially the scene where Carrie and Lily drive a Hummer through the arctic shanty town). But, hey, that's not really an indictment on the book itself, I've often said that it doesn't really matter the order that pieces of fiction come out, but the order you've seen them. For instance, I read Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens well before I saw The Omen (well, I still haven't seen the movie, but I DID read the novelization of the movie that I thought was the novel it was based on). Really, though, reading Whiteout made me want to watch The Thing again, that's a freaking rad movie.



It also made me want to see the Whiteout movie starring Kate Beckinsale. What's the deal with that flick anyway?

One last thing I want to talk about, more so than the contents of the book is the scale of the book itself. I will never understand why companies want to shrink down artists' work to such a small format. It's one thing with manga or Scott Pilgrim when the book was originally conceived in that format, but shrinking Steve Lieber or Frank Miller's art (like in the Sin City volumes that came out around the movie) just boggles my mind. Their art is SICK, show it as big as you can! That's why we have Absolute editions.

Okay, that's my rant. What do you think of shrinking down artwork like that? Or Whiteout? Or Kate Beckinsale? Or The Thing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment