Wednesday, March 18, 2009

30 Rock and Roll All Night

2009-01-08
4:31:26 am

I've got to apologize again for my lack of posts. Things have been crazy, but I've been spending most of my free time watching movies and reading comics, so hopefully that will translate into more posts (if I don't fall asleep first).





So, one of the first things I did when I started watching Netflix stuff on Xbox Live was add the first season of 30 Rock. When 30 Rock premiered I wasn't all that into the show, which is strange because most of you know of my love of Saturday Night Live and I also watch The Office and My Name Is Earl which are on the same channel at the same time. I think part of the reason is that I started watching and REALLY liked Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip which is basically SNL on the west coast (as written by Sorkin). So, for whatever reason, it was hardly on my radar and I missed out on most of the first season. But I've been watching it since then and am a huge huge fan (I think it makes me laugh more than The Office now).


The one thing that struck me the most is that I had no idea how the series started. I just assumed it was an SNL-like show with a smaller cast and more dancers and that Liz and Jack were always friendly. Well, that's not the case, as the first episode shows Jack's first day, coming in and changing the Jenna-starring The Girl Show into TGS Featuring Tracey Morgan. Even though the series has been a lot of fun anyway, this made everything make a lot more sense.


There's a lot of great episodes, including the one where Tracey goes on Conan Obrien's show, but my favorite episode of the season has to be the one about Cleveland. As an Ohioan, it's always great to see one of our cities on TV (especially Cleveland where my mom is from and my Grandma still lives). It's what hooked me to the Drew Carey Show too. Anyway, I like that they kind of flip the script and make Cleveland out to be this cool, great place to run away to. The funny thing is that, according to Grandma (mine, not a character on the show) Cleveland and its suburbs used to actually be the hot spot for wealthy New Yorkers to summer at because of Lake Erie and it's relative proximity to NYC. Go figure, huh? It's kind of like hearing how many people went on their honeymoon to Niagra Falls. But anyway, I laughed for pretty much the whole episode and all the rest. If you're a fan of smart comedy, you can't go wrong checking out the first season. Some people say it's a little slow in the first disc, but I'm not one of them. Definitely give it a disc, though, to see if you'll like it. I ended up burning through the whole series in about three days.


Oh, also, I love Tina Fey. She's the cat's pajams as far as I'm concerned.



No comments:

Post a Comment