Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Double Feature for the Ages

2008-07-07
2:37:26 am

The other night (Wednesday I think), I decided to get caught up on my movies from Blockbuster so I watched a double feature of PCU (1994) and The Boondock Saints (1999). Now, these two flicks don't have anything in common (trust me I looked), but I really enjoyed re-watching both movies.






PCU's about this high school senior (pre-frosh) who comes to visit a college (based on Wesleyan from what I've read), but instead of staying in the dorms, he ends up in a place called The Pit that used to be a fraternity house back in the day, but is now co-ed housing. We had something like this at my college, they were called SLUs (for "single living units," I think). Anyway, the blind dude from Becker signed Jeremy Piven (who even then, looked about 30) up to house a pre-frosh, but he's having none of it. After the usual "introducing the new kid to all the different groups on campus" scene (I still love those scenes, even long after high school and college), the pre-frosh successfully pisses off each and every highly-sensitive group and minority on campus. Meanwhile, David Spade plays a yuppie who belongs to the fraternity that used to live in The Pit. He's conspiring with the president of the school to get The Pitters kicked out of their place. All of this leads to a killer party at The Pit (so they can raise money to keep their house) where George Clinton and Parliament/The P-Funk All-Stars play. Then they ruin the bicentennial thingy so the dean gets fired. Basically, the whole idea is that being overly politically correct (hence PCU) actually separates people instead of bringing them together. Oh, and that beer and funk solves everything.


I remember watching this flick on Comedy Central back in the day. I'm not sure if it was on the T & A Matinee that they used to do right around the time I got home from grade school (excellent scheduling CC!) or just on the pre-South Park station, but I saw it a lot. And it made me want to go to college. It was a lot of fun watching the movie post-college because, even though the movies about 15 years old by now, there's still a lot of truth in the cartoony antics. Oh, it's also a lot of fun watching it and calling out different people. One of the guys from Big Love is in it, so is Gary Busey's son Jake. Oh, also, Zak Penn of X-Men movie writing fame go-wrote this movie. That's awesome. If you haven't checked out PCU, I highly recommend it.



Which brings me to Boondock Saints which is a flick about two Irish brothers in Southie (that's in Boston, kids) who decide to become vigilantes and kill bad dudes in their neighborhood. One of the mob bosses isn't too thrilled about this, so he arranges for an incredibly dangerous hitman that goes by the name Il Duce (played by the second teacher from Head of the Class Billy Connelly) to kill the brothers. Oh, duh, Willem Dafoe plays an FBI agent trying to figure out who's killing these bad guys. He's like a profiler I guess. They shoot the scenes pretty interestingly, basically they show the brothers about to kill somebody, then jump to the aftermath when Dafoe shows up. Dafoe then re-imagines the whole thing, at one point, even acting like a conductor. It's a hard thing to explain, but it was pretty cool to see.


I was kind of surprised about the reaction I got to my friends when I told them I re-watched Saints. I really enjoyed the movie (in the same way you enjoy a good Punisher comic, who doesn't like watching bad guys get wasted? especially when the guys doing it are just so damn likeable), but when I mentioned it to a few of my friends they said they didn't like it very much. But it wasn't really the movie they disliked but the hype that surrounded it. I only ever had two people tell me I should watch it, so I didn't realize there was such a huge cult following around the movie comparing it to Pulp Fiction (which I would definitely not do). So, I suggested they check it out again, like I suggest all of you to check it out. I'm also excited to see the long-planned sequel that may or may not ever happen. Heck, I'd even check out a comic based on The Boondock Saints.



No comments:

Post a Comment