Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Few Thoughts On Glee

I've talked about Glee a few times, after the very first episode and then after the next first episode. I'm happy to say that many of my concerns have been taken care of for the most part: the songs sound more "live" than they used to and the non-glee club students don't seem as assholeish (but that's just because they're not featured as prominently, they're still assholes, we just don't see it as much). But, I do still have a few problems with the show. I only even mention these problems because I really like the show and want it to be better.

See, I feel like the writers relied on sensational plots and characters early on and are now stuck with them. Mr. Schue's wife is just awful. The whole fake pregnancy thing just feels like a huge weight around the neck of the whole show. That's the kind of plot device you throw in, thinking that you need to hook viewers with out-there plot points and now you get stuck with them. Both Em and I hate the wife and want her out of the picture. And that's not just because we want her to hook up with the ridiculously cute Emma. She's just a terrible character. One that could only be redeemed by television trickery and nothing that would take place in real life. The sooner the truth comes out about her the better.

Before tonight's episode, I was feeling the same way about Quinn's pregnancy, but I feel like it's more of a real point of drama and conflict now as opposed to something they threw against the wall to see what stuck. I like the drama it's causing with Quinn, Fynn and Puck, but I still feel like the "I told Fynn it was semen in the hot tub, but Puck's really the father because we boned, but I'm going to keep lying about it" plot on Quinn's end is a bit much. The sooner that's dealt with the better.

Here's my long term problem with the show, though. Aside from the fact that I feel like Quinn's baby will be written off with the greatest of ease (please prove me wrong writers), it seems like the show as a whole has a ticking clock hovering above it. And it's all because these kids are relatively old. In high school terms. I'm guessing most of them are juniors, if not seniors. Now, having been a member of the musicals since my sophomore year in high school I know all too well that you've always got an outgoing class and an incoming one, which is a path that Glee could logically take in the coming seasons. Sure it would be hard to get rid of leads, but it would be more realistic (what are the odds that everyone in a particular club is in the same grade?)). Now, they could take the That 70s Show road in which each season consisted of half an actual year (so the eight seasons only spanned four in "real time"). I could buy that. This is more of a "future problem," though, something that may or may not be a problem. But it's something I think about because I do really like the show.

I do appreciate how the show is expanding its world. Sue Sylvester has shown a bit of humanity with last week's episode, though I worry she will be a one trick pony for 99% of the show, we shall see. I also liked seeing Kurt's dad last episode, Fynn's mom on tonight's and Quinn's even though they were total jerkwads.

And, of course, the music is great. I even called that Fynn would sing "Having My Baby" to Quinn's parents. Go me. And I was thinking they'd sing "Lean On Me" to Quinn and Fynn at the end, but I called it some other ridiculous name that I can't quite recall right now. Anyway, the point is that Glee has a lot going for it, a huge following and the support of the music industry right now, so I hope the writers can get themselves out of the corners they've painted themselves into in order to make the story as good as the songs and choreography.

No comments:

Post a Comment