Thursday, November 19, 2009

10 Awesome Rube Goldberg Devices

After checking out that Hema website earlier today it got me thinking about how much I used to love Rube Goldberg contraptions. I can't remember exactly where my history with them started, but I feel like Nickelodeon or one of the other channels with kids programming used to animated some of his designs. I also remember checking a book of said designs out from the library. It's been a while since I've even thought about them, but once I did I started scoping YouTube out for videos and came across these 10 awesome ones. Oh and for the record, I tried finding the one from Back To The Future, but it wasn't on YouTube or DailyMotion, so don't give me any trouble for missing it you damn kids! Anyway, hit the jump for the list of videos.

THE SESAME STREET ANIMATED ALPHABET
Sure it's a cartoon and you only need to watch the first half of it, but it's a fun watch and just might be the first place I experienced Goldberg's highly complicated ways of solving simple problems.


THE GUITAR STRUMMER
This one doesn't quite work, but I like the idea of using one of these contraptions for both turning an amp on and strumming a guitar.


FUN WITH BILLIARDS AND DOMINOES
Those trick shot competitions are pretty entertaining, but this guy uses a series of dominoes and pool balls to sink three tables' worth of balls. Just the idea of setting something like this up hurts my head.


POURING A BEER AS NEVER BEEN MORE COMPLICATED
This guy walks you through the whole process ahead of time before doing the actual run at around the 2:10 mark. You've got to admire the dedication it takes to building something like this throughout your house.


THE ONE FROM WAITING
As I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of the movie Waiting and saw this at the end of the credits (or is it a DVD special feature?). Anyway, it's a quick one, but fun plus it is another highly complicated way to pour a beer.


SEVERAL JAPANESE GOLDBERGS
I haven no idea what the writing in these means, but they sure are cool. I especially like that one where the parts move from one place to another to help solve the circuit. Very cool.


FIRE IS COOL
This one makes the list solely because it involved fire and lots of it. I can't say I understand the point of it (I think it gets cut off at the end), but, like, it has a TON of fire.


DIGITAL NINTENDO RUN THROUGH
I skipped over most of the digital versions I saw out there, but this one features more nods to original NES games than a Mario bobblehead.


A VERY MYTHBUSTERS CHRISTMAS
The Mythbusters put this one together for the fans using a few myths they proved like the Mentos and Diet Coke one plus a ton of other stuff they had lying around the lab. Great stuff.


"BEST RUBE GOLDBERG EVER"
I'm not sure if I agree with the name bestowed this one, but it is amazing how huge it is. It doesn't really serve a purpose other than opening a curtain and hyping the guys that made it, but it still puts a lot of the other ones I found to shame. Well done fellas.


No comments:

Post a Comment