Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's The Opposite Of Jumping The Shark?

I have no idea, but tonight's episode of Parks and Recreation has actually been pretty funny. Poehler's Leslie Knope is still Michael Scott-ish, but the other people in this episode seem to like her more than people generally like Michael (which is, understandably, not much).

Could this be a further sign of the apocalypse? I can't even put my finger on what's different, maybe it's that her co-stars Aziz Ansar, Aubrey Plaza, Rashida Jones, Rashida Jones and Chris Pratt (Bright from Everwood, an over-dramatic, but still kind of addictive teen drama that Em got me watching) got more screen time and showed how funny they can be. I even liked Leslie's boss played by Nick Offerman, a character I've kind of hated since the first episode (he's a government employee who hates the government).

I still have a problem with the whole idea of a mock reality show in which normal people do anything they want on camera. For instance, while Pratt is in a kid's pool in his back yard, is neighbor comes in and takes Pratt's boombox while the camera is on him. The dude seems like a fairly mild mannered fellow, so it rings a little false that he might do something like this on camera. As viewers, we're not sure how long the crew has been following them or what the deal is. There are plenty of nods and looks towards the camera, but why are the cameras staying at Pratt and Jones' house? Are they there to document the filling in of the pit? These are all logical story questions I have that I hope will eventually get answered. Actually, if the episodes continue to be this good, I'll let is slide, like with The Office, which is on right now!!!

Oh, Kevin, you poor sunnovabitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment