Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Songs I Should Hate, But Don't: "I Love College"

Wow, this was supposed to be a quick post. Tell you how much I like a song I shouldn't, throw up the video and be done with it. For some reason, though, the people behind Asher Roth's "I Love College" video don't want it embedded anywhere on the internets. I don't really understand this practice, considering a music video is basically a commercial for your product and why wouldn't you want that commercial plastered in as many places as possible?

Anyway, I first saw Roth performing this song on those between-the-show-and-commercials that MTV does. The d-bag flag went off immediately in my head, "Another goofy white kid rapping. Oh, and it's about drinking at college? Blarg." Well, thanks to Fuse, MTV and VH1 I've seen this video a bunch of times and it's really grown on me because, all in all, it's just a fun tune.

No, college isn't really like that (at least mine wasn't), but the days that got close were the most fun and the ones I remember today (like drinking martinis at 10AM after the waitress gave us the stink eye and asked us if we knew how early it was). Damn, good times.

Also, upon further viewings, Roth doesn't seem as douchey. Sure he's bragging about a rad party (a seemingly endless one), but aren't most rap songs about braggadocios dudes telling you how awesome (or terrible) their lives are. I'll call myself out and say that I discounted Roth because he's white (and probably younger and more successful than me), but I'm glad I've given this song a few more listens because it's a lot of fun and I think there's a smile and wink somewhere under all the "my life is awesome" talk. But, hey, if not, I'm still down.

For those of you who didn't click through on the link above, you can watch a picture of Roth while the unedited song plays below. Yeah, it's lame, but I'm not looking to spend anymore time trying to find this damn video to embed.


2 comments:

  1. Not much better than toasting the end of an 8:30 AM Saturday final with some screwdrivers...

    Oh but I still find this dude and his song totally douchey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got home from work late one night, and nothing was on TV. I turned on MTV2 to a commercial, and by the fate of God, stayed on it to see this video. I flipped off of the channel and then flipped back on to restart the program from the beginning, just to see the video again.

    Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. I immediately downloaded it and sent to Will, Gonzo, Kip & Mikaela.

    Em this song is not douchy, although the guy kinda is. :)

    ReplyDelete