Friday, July 24, 2009

Halloween Scene: F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin

Sorry for the relative lack of posting this week and the less-than-creative header to this post, but I figure everyone's either at San Diego Comic-Con or paying more attention to that news than anything else. Anyway, when you're done with all that you can check out what I thought of F.E.A.R. 2 for the XBox 360.

So, I got this game a while ago. The reason I didn't finish it sooner is threefold. One, I don't have a ton of time to play games. Two, I tend to get impatient with my games. And, three playing Halo 3 online with my friends from home beats out playing a game that sometimes scares the crap out of me by myself. All of which is to explain that, I dug the game, even though I didn't burn through it.

I've never played a game like this before (read: scary), which also explains that I never played the original. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what the story was about. Something about a naked ghost woman, an organization of jerks doing bad stuff to her, a bombed out city and lots of bad guys to shoot. I also didn't really care. Heck, I was the one skipping the cut scenes (hey, I play a game like F.E.A.R. 2 to blow shit and people up, not get a story).

Anyway, like I alluded to, this game definitely has its scary moments. Not only does the naked ghost woman show up a bunch of times, but you also get visited by other ghosts (who disappear when you shoot them for some reason) and get transported to an erie, red dream world with a tree before being transported somewhere else or waking up somewhere different. There were times walking through the dark hallways where I was desperately hoping for big guys with guns instead of ghosts, because, apparently, I'm a bigger wuss than I thought I was. It was an impressive experience because, as you know, I watch a metric butt ton of horror movies and haven't been scared since The Strangers, so kudos to them. Check out some of the scarier moments here:



In addition to the scares, I also liked the variety of enemies. You've got your basic guards, then military guys (I felt a little bad killing them), then armored guys who look like Gears of War dudes and finally these teleporting/phasing invisible guys who are REALLY hard to kill. I liked that they weren't just standard Streets of Rage-like punks. I actually felt like I was getting a little better at the game because I was doing alright taking these guys out. And, as you'd imagine, as the enemies get harder, so do the weapons. There's this lazer gun that cuts people right in half. Gotta love that.

So, all in all, I had a lot of fun playing F.E.A.R. 2 and was actually glad that the final stage wasn't a huge boss fight (I was tired and had to get to a party), though it did feel a bit anticlimactic. I also almost quit about a half dozen times because I would get stuck. I had to resort to a walkthrough a few times, especially at the very end. It was actually the walkthrough that kept me going because I realized how far into the game I was. So, yeah, I liked the experience I had playing the game and would recommend it to others, but how does it compare to you hardcore gamers out there? What else should I add to my list of scary games to check out for the 360?

No comments:

Post a Comment