Monday, June 15, 2009

Charging Ahead: Charles in Charge Season 2

I've made no secret of my love for the first season of Charles in Charge. The first season was awesome and even though I talked about how choppy the transition from the first family (Season One) to the second family (Seasons Two through Five) was, I enjoyed Season Two just as much as One.

The funniest thing about going through the episodes is when memories flood back and soak me in decades old thoughts. This first happened on the second episode of the season called "The Naked Truth." Charles takes Adam to his art class with Buddy. Charles wants to go because there's a girl in the class he has a thing for. Then it turns out that said girl is the live nude model. I can't point out the exact moment, but at some point, I remembered the scene shot for shot. I'm pretty sure this is the first "naked lady" I ever saw, even though you only get a look at her feet as the robe drops and a shoulders-up shot of her. That was wild.

Memories aside, the show impressed me with how honest it was. Charles and Buddy didn't straight out say they wanted to bang chicks, like a normal college guy might today, but they definitely allude to it in creative, sitcommy ways. But, the thing I love about this show is that it's got heart, it's honest, and it's funny. There's one part where Charles is trying to deal with his mother visiting and he refers to how she's always treating him like a kid to which Buddy responds with something like "She cleaned your diaper, there's no way she can see you as an adult." I'm sure I'm not the only one who's felt like this at one time or another.

Since it's summer and most of the good shows are off the air, I highly recommend for everyone to give Charles In Charge another look, especially because you can watch it on Netflix Instant Watch. I can really never watch just one episode, it's usually a group at a time, which leads to some sleepy train rides sometimes, but it's worth it. My only problem is that the last two seasons aren't available on DVD yet and, as far as I know, haven't been put on any production schedules yet. Anyone else want to start a petition with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment